Seniors – a valuable resource.
Since the inception of the Community Access Program (C@P) in Victoria County (1998), seniors have played a vital role in the development of the Association and of its programs and services. Our volunteer Board of Directors includes many community seniors who share their time, experiences and resources with our Association.
Seniors also make up a large majority of the client base that VCCAPS serves. We believe seniors, within the many rural communities in Victoria County, have a significant need for social and technology development, which has become a guiding principle for program development within VCCAPS Association. The focus of the seniors’ programs and services has evolved over the years and have included:
- Seniors computer training – 2003-present
- Partnership with Cape Breton Seniors Learning Network – 2003-2006
- Alderwood (Seniors long-term care facility) Computer Program – 2005 – 2013
- Community website development and assisting senior volunteers 2010- present
- 2011/12 Youth Program – YELP – Youth Education Learning Program with Seniors
- 2011/12 Alderwood Positive Aging Project – partnership project with local nursing home
- 2012/13 Youth Program – Engaging Communities – Youth teaching seniors
- 2012/13 Seniors Positive Aging Project – History & Heritage Network
Training opportunities are ongoing, visit www.vccaps.com for more information.